Not so very long ago, aspiring writers often really struggled to get their words into print. Now, there are all kinds of tools for self-publishing. A blog is one such method, and it can also be a very useful marketing tool for businesses.
Blogging is a key part of an effective content marketing strategy. Original, relevant articles that incorporate the use of keywords rank well on Google and other search engines. Blogging can encourage audience engagement and community building within your target market, and widen your sphere of influence.
Other benefits of blogging include:
- Each time you post a blog article, it adds another search engine indexed page to your site, which helps improve your site’s ranking and increase your business’s exposure. This can help to drive more traffic and attract more interest to your site.
- Opportunity to add a call to action on each article to encourage users to take the next step.
- Option to share links to your articles on your social media pages.
- Opportunity to become an established authority on your subject or industry.
- Once posted, your blog articles can continue generating leads and driving traffic while you’re busy doing other things.
Our tips for blogging
While blogging is not an exact science, there are a number of things you do to make your articles as effective as possible.
- Use your blog articles to solve issues for your audience. For example if you have a home maintenance site, you can write articles on DIY home maintenance and repairs, adding a call to action for people who need assistance. Other suggestions include question and answer-style articles, or conducting interviews with topic experts and writing them up.
- Use compelling titles and headings. These should be specific, focused and succinct, without any wasted words. “How to” titles can be good, as well as those with numbers and tips, such as “6 Ways to Make Money Online.”
- Make sure that your articles are well written, free from spelling and grammatical errors, and are easy and pleasant to read.
- Use a style that matches the topic. In general, conversational tones are used when blogging, although in some cases a more formal business-like tone may be more appropriate.
- Make your articles reasonably in-depth but also not too long. Around 400 – 700 words may suffice, although longer posts may be better for complex topics.
- Share links to your blog articles through social media and email, or fax online via an internet fax service.
- Consider attaching special offers at the end of your articles to encourage readers to take further action.
- Use metrics to measure interest in your blog articles and their marketing effectiveness.
- Encourage comments on your blog articles to facilitate audience engagement and interaction.
Like social media, blogging is more about engagement than direct marketing. Some readers may click on your call to action link for more information, a quote or to make a purchase, while others may not. In any case, the benefits can be very worthwhile, so get blogging!
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn